Thursday 13 January 2011

MSA 'Go Rallying' starter pack

I would like to be in a position to do some stage rallies next year, nothing fancy, just whatever the cheapest tarmac events turn out to be. So the first thing I'll need will be the correct competition licence. This year I have a "Non-Race National B" so to do any stage rallying I will need to upgrade to a "Rally National B Stage". Unlike my current licence this one can't just be applied for, I will need to pass a test. This is known as the BARS test and so far as I can tell it involves a written test on safety and then a practical test where I will have to show an examiner that I can control a rally car safely and I wont be a danger to anyone on a special stage. The BARS test can only be taken at a MSA approved rally school and there is only one in NI.

Before I can take the BARS test I need to buy a 'Go Rallying' pack from the MSA. The pack cost £57 and for that high price I was expecting it to contain some useful items or information that would help me get started in motorsport, but unfortunately I was left disappointed.

'Go Rallying' pack contents:


Information letter,
Form to apply for the "Stage Rally National B" licence,
Go Rallying & First Aid in Motorsport CD,
Interactive year book DVD,
Blue book/Yearbook,
Demon Tweeks catalogue,
List of approved rally school,
Notes for filling out the licence form,
Return envelope.

Of all that only the form to apply for my licence and the CD/DVDs are useful. The form and the videos could be put on the internet and it would do away with the need for a starter pack altogether and save every new competitor £57. For an organisation that should be trying to encourage people to get involved in motorsport this seems like a very poor introduction. They should be trying to take barriers out of the way not putting them up. Unfortunately it looks like the MSA are taking advantage of their monopoly position and ripping off competitors right from the very start of their motorsport careers. Motorsport is an expensive enough hobby, without the governing body adding to it.



MSA 'Go Rallying' starter pack:
http://shop.msauk.org/product_details.asp?id=4073

No comments:

Post a Comment