Sunday 2 January 2011

Dakar 2011

The Dakar Rally kicked off yesterday from Buenos Aires and while I don't follow any other rally raid events I do love the Dakar. It's just such a monstrous event at over 9,500km. It must be one of the last truly epic motorsport events and the television images that it produces are absolutely stunning.

Volkswagen have once again turned out in force and I can't see them being beaten. I will be rooting for a second victory for Carlos Sainz. The man is a true legend in rallying and he is a great ambassador for the sport.

I watched an interview with Robby Gordon on Eurosport and he thinks he is in with a chance this year. He has a new lighter, more powerful car so he could well do it. He put on a great performance last year taking a stage win and in 2009 he finishing 3rd overall. I wish him luck but in truth, I can't see a 2wd car being able to take the victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment