Tuesday 10 April 2012

Hilary Autotest 2012

Last Saturday (31 March 2012) was QUBMC's annual Hilary Autotest. Rachel and I took on the event this year as we wanted to leave the student members free to concentrate their efforts on the Summer Lanes Rally in July.

Autotesting is a fairly easy to organise event and as we were being allowed access to the same bit of ground that we used in 2011 there wasn't a lot to do. Rachel organised the regs and paperwork, and got Paddy to do results. Then all I had to do was to drew up the tests and do the scrutineering on the day. I took quite a long time to draw out the tests as I haven't really autotested before but I think they turned out ok. Our bit of ground is very long and narrow so that makes things a bit easier as there are less options, there was only one bit that the competitors asked to be changed so my diagrams can't have been that far away. The 2011 event was well received so I think we were repaid for that this year and got 15 entries, which we were delighted with.

The Hilary is a beginners autotest so I took the chance to try out the Nova on it's first proper autotest. It meant that on the day I was pretty busy between scrutineering, setting up the tests and trying to compete. Luckily Phil, James and Peter were on hand to help out or I would have been totally stuck without them.

In autotesting the max time for each test is the fastest time in each class plus 20 seconds. With that being the case it's not surprising that I didn't set any actual test time all day. From watching the experienced guys it was easy to see how they were so much quicker than me, their car just never stops moving. Even with my lack of talent being taken into account I think the Nova also held me back. I struggled with traction when getting the car moving and the handbrake wasn't tight enough to bring the back end round, I had to try and press the foot break and pull the handbrake at the same time which requires more coordination than I've been blessed with.

I really enjoyed my days autotesting and would be keen to give it another go but not without making some changes to the car. I think the main things I would need are a LSD and a hydraulic handbrake. My arm and shoulder were near pulled out of me yanking on the standard handbrake all day! Nice skinny tyres on the back would make life a bit easier too. Paul Blair says all the FWD autotesters use a Quaife ATB LSD so that makes things more straight forward as I wasn't sure whether I should be looking for a platted diff or a geared diff. The geared diff suits me better as it is a fit and forget item, happy days, I just need to save up the £600 now for a new one or find a good second hand one.

I tried out some new camera mounting positions and I was really pleased with how they turned out. Unfortunately my autotesting was embarrassingly bad so I don't know if I'm brave enough to put them up on YouTube but hopefully I'll be able to edit something together that doesn't make me look too bad.

Results
Really Mean Sounds Report

1st Overall, Paul Blair









No comments:

Post a Comment