Wednesday 26 October 2011

Circuit Retro 2011

Another full weekend of motorsport, that's 2 in 3 weekends, October has been a great month.

This time it was the Circuit Retro, organised by the UAC, which for the first time were running a class for modern cars. Andy Hughes had asked me to sit with him as his regular navigator was unavailable and I jumped at the chance. My Nova isn't ready for a 3 day lanes rally so sitting with Andy is the next best thing. He had sources a short ratio gearbox from a 1300cc 106 Rallye for his 1400cc XSi 106 and was excited about how much quicker it made the car. Unfortunately it was the new gear box that let us down. After just 2 tests the gearbox started to whine and had trouble selecting gears. We battled on for another few tests and then decided to pull out and head back to Tandragee to investigate.


It didn't take long to find the problem. This is the bolt hole where the gearbox mount joins to the gearbox.

So with the rallye gearbox being scrap we started swapping it out for the old reliable GTI 'box that had come out just the week before. With some guidance from Mark, Andy's friendly local mechanic, and the use of his lift we had the broken 'box out and the good one back in by 20:30 and were ready to tackle Saturday and Sundays tests.

And what tests they were! The first 2 tests were part of stages from the Down Rally, Tollymore and Castlewellan. Getting the chance to experience those stages was brilliant, I've never seen a forest stage from the inside and they were well worth the early start. From there we spent the rest of the day doing 9 tests on the stages in Slieve Gullion Forest Park. The GTI gearbox was geared too long for the Gullion tests as they were mostly uphill but we still enjoyed the hoke.

On Sunday we did several tests on our way down to Kirkistown race circuit, the best of which was Dunleath Farm. I hadn't a clue where we were going but Andy knew the test as he had set it up in previous years and we set a great time. The Kirkistown test were a chance to stretch the cars legs with some longer tests and they where the best of the weekend. There are enough tests at Kirkistown for it to host a whole lanes rally within its grounds so I hope that is something that can be organised in the future, I for one would be very keen to go back.






From talking to people at the end everyone really enjoyed the event and the UAC did a great job of running it. The weather was about as bad as it gets and still the marshals stood out in it and I didn't hear any of them complain about it. Hopefully I can support the event again next year and get my own car out. I was very impressed with Andy's driving and I'd have to admit that it felt like he is quicker than me, much more attacking and confident, I really enjoyed sitting in with him, he's good craic too. I had the Go Pro in for most of the tests so I'll link to the videos when I get them edited down.

Ciaran


Circuit Retro
Graham Curry's Photos
Peespeed's Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment